23 Jul 2020

Real scenes of Japanese whaling, etc



The TV was silent but I would always keep it on
In the background while I worked
A habit steeped in nothing resembling logic

And there were images of fins being sliced
And massive harpoons rocketing past ice flows into dark red blubber
Stock footage dropped in the middle of the fictional war movie

I was alone and so listening to the wrong music as
Always

The words weren’t coming 
I held my breath and go get a drink
Pretend there was something else I could do

I know there’s rubble to clear away
Bent metal and rebar and concrete, cement, broken glass, brick, sandbags,
All of it

And under there in shadow on newborn grass is a voice or
Instruction of what I’m supposed to do and how I can do it

And so I sit with aching back and spinning head and ignore the
Madness I create in all those around me while year in year out

I fail to engage with what that exactly is
Or how I pull them down into my hole
Spin them round and spit them back out

Always working twice as hard to
Be half as good at everything I ever did
And that’s alright because I know what would occur
If I ever stopped trying and gave any of it up

The weight of the days was suddenly also everyone else’s weight
So less important to both you and me
A shared load of anxiety and countdown to the end of the world
Or at least the end of the humans

Jesus what a delicate animal we are
Wishing for better
Wishing for more
Just one
More

And I decided to no longer wish for anything
When a million people all do the same thing at the same time
Yours surely gets lost in the fog of wanton criminals
Their families and ex-wives and dogs and neighbours and bosses
None of who ever did anything to earn their wishes

Fuck them
They aren’t pulling my words out from under
Whatever concrete slab they are trapped beneath
They aren’t putting wine on my table or an acceptance letter in my mailbox

Dear sir,

We have decided after years of semi-deluded efforts and slightly above-average poems, to publish this one small piece of your work in our magazine no one will ever see, in order that you stop emailing us over and over again.

Kind regards…

Etc

I turn my attention back and see I’m now in the company of cowboys
And brown-faced injuns.
Dry plains and snow-capped peaks far behind them

Everywhere I see feels like a potential escape and
I still feel I’ll never get anywhere but right here.