13 Apr 2012

'I'm 18, he's 18 - everybody's 18...'

What do you think of skateboarding in 2012?


I don’t think many kids even comprehend what it took to come up with the tricks that everybody does today. They all started this knowing that a noseblunt was possible because they’d seen it. They know it exists. We didn’t. I remember sitting in front of World and watching Mark get into them. I couldn’t believe it. Then I’d hear about Hensley getting into them backside and on down the line…

I think a lot of the difficulty lies in the establishing groundwork. The originality and the innovation. It’s easier to learn something once you know it’s possible.

But skateboarding means everything to me, man. It’s the Holy Grail. It’s the thing that opened up all these different facets of my life that I’m still drawing off of. It’s the gift that keeps giving.

Thank God for Epsom Salt.

Ron Chatman.